Sunday, February 1, 2015

Tasting- Fontana Candida Frascati, Foxhollow Chardonnay, B&G Chicken & Turkey Cotes du Rhone, Foxhollow Cabernet Sauvignon, Opera Prima Sparkling Moscato



Name- Fontana Candida Frascati
Variety- A blend of 60% Malvasia Bianca di Candia, 30% Trebbiano and 10% Malvasia del Lazio
Region-Latium
Country- Italy
Year- 2012
Price- $12

Winery Review- This Frascati, made from grapes growing in volcanic soils near Rome and cold filtered, is a pale straw gold. On the nose it offers light-as-a-zephyr lemon and a hint of grass. On the tongue it is ultra crisp and delightfully flinty, its lemon and clementine flavors as smooth as old silk. At the end of a nice clean finish a dab of ripe pear takes a bow.

My review- I think this might be the first blended wine I have ever tried. It didn't make much difference however, as it tasted about the same to me as other white wines I've tried. I tasted lemon with a bit of after bite from the alcohol.

I tasted this on its own.

Name- Foxhollow Chardonnay
Variety- 100% Chardonnay
Region- California
Country- USA
Year- 2012
Price- $5.95

Winery Review- This Chardonnay's aromas of tropical pineapple, crisp green apple and citrus are supported by underlying nuances of vanilla. The finish is smooth and creamy yet balanced with enough acidity to accentuate the vibrant fruit flavors with a hint of orange blossoms.

My Review- This is a wine variety I am currently most familiar with. And I got a taste of apple followed by citrus, it wasn't anything that blew me away, and I don't think I'd go out of my way to get this wine in the future.

I tasted this on its own. 

Name- B&G Chicken & Turkey Cotes du Rhone
Variety- 50% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 20% Carignan
Region- Rhone
Country- France
Year- Not listed
Price- $10


Winery Review- Deep red garnet color with purple highlights. Intense nose of morello cherry, tobacco, and liquorice. Good structure on the palate with  lots of fruits and a long fruity and spicy finish. A true delight.

My Review- Extremely dry. It tasted like I had been wandering through the desert for three months without any food or water. I honestly couldn't get any of the above aromas or flavors.

I tasted this on its own.

Name- Foxhollow Cabernet Sauvignon
Variety- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Region- California
Country- USA
Year- 2012
Price- $5.95

Winery Review- Rich and supple with juicy plum, blackberry, and chocolate flavors and a pleasant smell of sweetness backed up by a good acidity and moderate tannins. Often early complexity and charm with real richness and depth.

My Review- The only variety of red wine that I can remember trying prior to this class, I got a dryness to it, but not overwhelming like the last one. Some taste of plums at first and afterward a bite of alcohol.

I tasted this on its own.

Name- Opera Prima Sparkling Moscato
Variety- 100% Muscat Blanc A Petits Grains 
Region- Castilla la Mancha 
Country- Spain
Year- Not listed
Price- $15

Winery Review- Flowery and sweet smelling, then round and fairly smooth in the mouth. The bubbles and flavor package of tropical fruits galore is pleasant and shouldn't offend anyone. Finishes clean and easy. A mango boat of flavor. 

My Review- First sparkling wine I've ever tried that wasn't cheap Champagne. Definitely floral on the nose, the taste I got was more of an orange flavor. Bubbled and was very sweet. This wine was my favorite of the five, but I can't imagine drinking more than just a glass due to its sweetness. 

I tasted this on its own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment